Tag Archives: NSO birth certificate

Grave for the Many


ImageIt is really an awkward moment when we talk about death. The truth is, no one wants to die early. We want to live our lives to the fullest. But we cannot avoid death. It is bound to happen to everyone. But when it happens during a calamity and causes the death of many people, how is this dealt with?


The wrath of Typhoon Yolanda comes to mind. The saddest thought is, to this day, we do not know the exact number of total casualties. One casualty is bad enough. But multiple? That is the worst thought to digest.


But do we need to register deaths, even in such a case? Yes, because the State needs to keep track of statistical data on the population. An effective system of recording of all deaths is very important to keep this data accurate. Further, the death certificate is essential in documentation for claiming of benefits for the heirs, insurance proceeds, among others.


Many of us may know how to register the death of one person, but how about for multiple persons for a mass grave? What is a mass grave?


A mass grave is a grave of unidentified corpses prior to their burial. There, however, is no definite number of corpses for a grave to be considered a mass grave. But the United Nations set the minimum number of corpses in a mass grave to three (3).


How then do we register the death of the persons in a mass grave?


Any person can register the death of any unidentified body in the mass grave, with the help of the health officer. Two disinterested persons will support the registration with an affidavit, giving information on the sex, distinguishing features and estimated age of the body, date, place and condition of the body when found. The death certificate will indicate, “BODY NOT IDENTIFIED” and submitted to the Local Civil Registrar of the place where the mass death happened.


For more details regarding this procedure, please call us at (+632) 7051265 and (+632) 7051277.




Filed under Uncategorized

In the Name of the Father


(Photo from http://www.business2community.com/trends-news/happy-father’s-day-top-5-free-father’s-day-ecards-from-jibjab-039688#!E8F13)

Before the Spaniards came to the Philippine Islands, Filipinos did not have last names. The Spaniards required last names and first names for baptism. A list of names was provided for them to choose. Some of the last names are the Spanish translation of its English equivalents. These names were given to Filipinos in order to be identical. In our present time, last names can be used for various purposes.

One use is to allow the transfer of properties of the father to the child. It also signifies the passing on of the family’s honor to his child, for him to continue the will of his ancestors. A last name that is the same as the father’s, shows that the child belongs to the bloodline of the father. This tells us that that the father accepts and recognizes the child to be his own.

Interestingly in Queensland, Australia, the procedure of registering the birth of a child of unmarried parents is as follows: 1) the parents of the child should register the birth together. In such a case, the birth certificate will show both the mother’s and father’s details. 2) If only the mother’s details are shown, the father may add his details by filling out a form, and attaching certified proof of his ID documents. 3) He must sign the declaration section of the form in the presence of an adult witness. 4) Then the birth certificate must be returned and changed for replacement. 5) If the birth certificate indicates that the father is “UNKNOWN”, DNA evidence must prove that he is the father of the child.

Here in the Philippines, children are usually allowed to carry the last name of the father only if their parents are married. But a law enacted in 2004, the “Revilla Law” now makes it possible for the illegitimate child to use the last name of his father. The father, however, needs to recognize the child as his own. There must be written proof of this, in the record of birth appearing in the civil register, in a public document or in a private handwritten instrument.

For more details regarding this procedure, please call us at (+632) 7051265 and (+632) 7051277.



Filed under Uncategorized




A screenshot of a photo lifted from https://www.flickr.com/photos/rocketjim54/2346073312/

      A Filipino name is usually composed of a first name, middle name and surname. While in some western countries the parents decide on a child’s middle name, here in the Philippines, our middle names are our mother’s maiden surname. This leaves many people wondering, what is the importance of the middle name in the Philippines?

        First, the middle name identifies the lineage of the mother. Due to our close family ties, this is as important as the lineage of the father.

        Secondly, with the growing population in the country, there may be persons who share the same first name and surname. The middle name helps us distinguish persons with the same first names and surnames. This is significant in securing an NBI clearance, which is a requirement for job, passport or visa application. It can happen that the applicant may have a “hit”. A “hit” means that another person shares the same given name and surname, and the namesake has a pending case in court. In order for the NBI officer to determine whether they are different persons, the NBI officer may look at the middle name because most likely the two persons will have different middle names.

        The Supreme Court explained the importance of the middle name in the case of Julian Lin Carulasan Wang, a legitimated child. When the family migrated to Singapore, the parents asked the court to drop Julian’s middle name. In Singapore, the mother’s maiden name is not carried as the person’s middle name. The parents were concerned that their son will be discriminated and ridiculed in school because of his middle name.

        The Court denied their request. The Court said that the change of name can be allowed only for ‘proper and reasonable cause’. Mere inconvenience in the use of one’s middle name, is not considered a valid reason. A legitimate child like Julian, the Court said, has the right to use the names of his mother or father. And this right cannot be taken away from Julian. (In Re: Petition for Change of Name and/or Correction/Cancellation of Entry in Civil Registry of Julian Lin Carulasan Wang v. Cebu City Civil Registrar, G.R. No. 159966. March 30, 2005)

       For other questions, please call us at +6327051265 or +6327051277. 


Filed under Uncategorized

Baby Boy, Baby Girl



Tamang tama at Valentines’ Day, madalas gamitin na term of endearment ang “Baby” ng mga magkasintahan. Pero marami rin sa atin na walang kamalay-malay na ang pangalan pala nila sa birth certificate nila ay “Baby Boy” o “Baby Girl”. Mayroon sigurong nainspire na mga magulang sa kanta ni Beyonce na sinadya ito. Pero karamihan sa kanila, iba naman ang ginagamit na pangalan sa kanilang mga importanteng dokumento. 

Madalas nangyayari ito kapag ipinanganak ang bata na hindi pa nakakapagdesisyon ang mga magulang sa ipapangalan sa kanya. Ginagawa nalang ng nagpaanak ay nilalagay ang “Baby Boy” o “Baby Girl” bilang First Name. Tapos kapag nakapagdesisyon na sa pangalan, hindi naman naisunod ang pangalang ito sa kanyang birth certificate.

Kapag ganito ang problema ninyo, ano ba ang dapat gawin?

Kung kayo ay pinanganak before 1993, mag-file kayo ng supplemental report sa civil registrar sa lugar kung saan kayo pinanganak. Pero kung ang year of birth ay after 1993, ang kailangan i-file ay Petition for Change of First Name. Ito ay ayon sa direktiba ng NSO:


Kailangan nyo rin pong magpakita ng mga supporting documents na nagpapatunay ng tamang first name na ginagamit ninyo tulad ng mga IDs, school records, SSS/GSIS, NBI/Police Clearance, etc.

Para po sa karagdagang kaalaman sa ganitong problema at kung paano ito maiaayos, tawag lang po kayo sa aming opisina para makapagkonsulta sa aming mga birth certificate specialists, 7051265/7051277.

Happy Hearts’ Day sa lahat ng mga baby boy at baby girl! 

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized



You joined a company raffle during your Christmas party. And by some stroke of luck, you win first prize– an all expense paid trip for two to Hongkong!! You call your best friend immediately and tell her the good news. That you chose her as your travelling buddy on your first trip out of the country. Now all you need is a passport… And a birth certificate…

So you call the NSO helpline to have a copy delivered right at your doorstep. You get your copy two days after. You open the envelope to take a look at the document. And then you see it…

First name: S-T-E-P-A-N-I….

Ohhh noooooooo!!!!!

How do you show up at the DFA, with your first name misspelled??


And your middle name????


Last name too???

Your Iphone has it, don’t they have freakin’ SPELLING CHECK???

What will you do?

Republic Act No. 9048 also includes the correction of clerical errors in birth, marriage and death certificates. Clerical or typographical errors are the most common problems in our documents. Back in the day when these documents were not as important as they are now, we did not care much if the details on our NSO documents were correct. We used to get away with them, just by presenting affidavits of discrepancy, one and the same person, etc., etc., etc.

But now, the DFA, SSS, GSIS, Philhealth, schools and embassies are super strict. The only document they believe in is an NSO stamped document. Those affidavits won’t do anymore. 

To correct these errors, you have to file them, either in the civil registrar of the place where you live, or in the place where you were born. The petition should be supported with several requirements that prove the correct spelling of your first name, middle name or last name. Among them are your parents’, siblings’ or children’s birth certificates, school records, baptismal or other religious records, SSS/GSIS records, government clearances, to name a few. This seems like a really long list. But before the RA9048 law was passed, all errors in your NSO documents can only be corrected in court. Concerns such as hiring a lawyer, spending a big amount of money, and waiting months, even years before the final decision is out need to be addressed. Have to say it, but it’s true, RA 9048 is already quite a compromise.

It may be a typo, one letter, two or three, but a birth certificate with an error is almost like no birth certificate at all. So, the sooner it’s corrected, the better.

Because in NSO certificates, the rule is the same. Wrong spelling, wrong.



Filed under Uncategorized

The Late Registration Trap

Screen shot 2013-04-01 at 3.27.59 PM


(Photo courtesy of http://coloring.thecolor.com/color/images/The-Lock-And-Key.gif)

One of the worst nightmares I had as a birth certificate specialist was when I dreamt and found out that I had three birth certificates! Each one bore a different name, different sets of parents, places of birth, etc. Worst of all, I could not access the one that I’ve been using since I entered school.

I woke up and was so thankful it was just a dream. But this nightmare is a reality for many others.

For some, they go through late registration, under the assumption that they do not have a birth record. But they find out later that they do.

But for most, they find out that there are errors in their first birth certificate. Due to lack of awareness of civil registration procedures, they undergo late registration to correct these errors.

In our experience as birth certificate specialists, we find out that there is a big misinformation about the process of late registration. This procedure should be resorted to, only when it is certain that you do not have a birth record, both with the civil registrar where you were born AND with the NSO. When your birth record is not found in the NSO database, you will receive a Negative Certification of Birth, much like the one you see below

Screen shot 2013-04-01 at 3.43.23 PM


(Photo courtesy of http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TQLP03xL2N4/UTW18d8Yu0I/AAAAAAAAEgY/WtlevBne1v8/s1600/IMG_0001.jpg)


But what if, you do have a birth record, only that you find some errors in it? And the advice that you got from your research is to undergo late registration to get an error free birth certificate?

This will actually create more problems for you. Because the NSO database will only issue the birth certificate that was registered earlier. The second birth certificate will be “locked”. The only way to “unlock” it is through a court order, cancelling the first birth certificate. And as many of us know, a court order will entail lawyers’ fees, court expenses, and months, or even years of waiting.

Knowing is really half the battle. And when seeking advice regarding birth certificate concerns, make sure you get the correct one. Because if something goes wrong, undoing that mistake is a bigger headache than making it.

A friendly reminder from your birth certificate specialists from VERified 🙂


Filed under RA 9048

What’s in a Middle Name?

One of the most popular questions we receive on our Facebook page is this:

“Problema po ng birth certificate ko, wala po akong middle name. Unknown po ang nakalagay sa blank ng “father’s name”. At dahil daw po illegitimate ako, wala daw po talaga akong middle name. Tama po ba yun?”


Yes that is correct. Our laws say that children whose parents are married, or recognized by their fathers have the right to bear a middle name. Applying those laws also tell us that illegitimate children who are not acknowledged by their father bear only a given name and their mother’s surname, and without a middle name.

For example, Maria gives birth to a girl Jennifer. The father did not acknowledge Jennifer as his daughter. If Jennifer uses a middle name..

Mother’s Name: Maria Dela Cruz Reyes

Child’s Name:    Jennifer Dela Cruz Reyes

This will make it appear that they are sisters, instead of mother and daughter. Our Supreme Court wanted to avoid this confusion. Therefore, this rule arose.

Right now, the only way to solve this problem is to file a case in court. Unless this bill becomes a law…


Republic of the Philippines


Quezon City


First Regular Session


Introduced by Hon. ANGELO B. PALMONES



Be enacted by the Senate and the House of Representatives of the Philippines in Congress Assembled:

SECTION 1. Title – The act shall be known as the Middle Name of Illegitimate Children Act of 2011.

SECTION 2. Use of the middle name of the mother of illegitimate child – The first sentence of Chapter 3, Article 175 of the Family Code (EO No. 209) is amended to read as follows: Illegitimate children shall use the surname and middle name of their mother, and shall be entitled to support in conformity with this code.

Likewise, Title XIII, Article 368 of the Civil Code of the Philippines shall be amended to read as follows: Illegitimate children referred to in Article 287 shall bear the surname and middle name of the mother.

SECTION 3. Addition of the middle name of illegitimate children – Mothers or guardians of illegitimate children below 18 years old who wish to add the middle name of the mothers of their wards shall merely inform the local Civil Registrar in writing. The Civil Registrar will record the change in their books and in turn inform the National Statistics Office (NSO) of the change. The NSO shall issue a certification of the change in the name of the illegitimate child. Such change shall be entered into the books/records of the NSO. The services of the Civil Registrar and the NSO shall be for free.

Similarly, illegitimate children 18 years and older may on their own request the Civil Registrar, in writing of the addition of the middle name using the middle name of the mother. The same procedure shall be followed by the Civil Registrar and the NSO and their services shall be for free.

SECTION 4. Effectivity – This Act shall take effect after fifteen (15) days following its publication in the Official Gazette or in two (2) newspapers of general circulation.


Representative, AGHAM Party List


Filed under Uncategorized