A screenshot of a photo lifted from https://www.flickr.com/photos/rocketjim54/2346073312/

      A Filipino name is usually composed of a first name, middle name and surname. While in some western countries the parents decide on a child’s middle name, here in the Philippines, our middle names are our mother’s maiden surname. This leaves many people wondering, what is the importance of the middle name in the Philippines?

        First, the middle name identifies the lineage of the mother. Due to our close family ties, this is as important as the lineage of the father.

        Secondly, with the growing population in the country, there may be persons who share the same first name and surname. The middle name helps us distinguish persons with the same first names and surnames. This is significant in securing an NBI clearance, which is a requirement for job, passport or visa application. It can happen that the applicant may have a “hit”. A “hit” means that another person shares the same given name and surname, and the namesake has a pending case in court. In order for the NBI officer to determine whether they are different persons, the NBI officer may look at the middle name because most likely the two persons will have different middle names.

        The Supreme Court explained the importance of the middle name in the case of Julian Lin Carulasan Wang, a legitimated child. When the family migrated to Singapore, the parents asked the court to drop Julian’s middle name. In Singapore, the mother’s maiden name is not carried as the person’s middle name. The parents were concerned that their son will be discriminated and ridiculed in school because of his middle name.

        The Court denied their request. The Court said that the change of name can be allowed only for ‘proper and reasonable cause’. Mere inconvenience in the use of one’s middle name, is not considered a valid reason. A legitimate child like Julian, the Court said, has the right to use the names of his mother or father. And this right cannot be taken away from Julian. (In Re: Petition for Change of Name and/or Correction/Cancellation of Entry in Civil Registry of Julian Lin Carulasan Wang v. Cebu City Civil Registrar, G.R. No. 159966. March 30, 2005)

       For other questions, please call us at +6327051265 or +6327051277. 



Filed under Uncategorized

24 responses to “#MiddleNameProblems

  1. jessalyn

    Last week my petition of correction in the last letter of my middle name was finish.. Then i send it to NSO through LBC.. How long will it take to get the corrct birthcertificate? Thanks.

    • I hope you have the correct birth certificate by now.

      If not, please call 027051265/027051277 for an appointment with our specialist. Bring all your documents po, so we can advise you accordingly.

  2. ed shuck

    if a child is born out of the philippines to a philippine mother and non philippine father, how will the last name be done? middle name done?
    the other country says !st,name middle then fathers last name,.. when asked about mothers name they said they usually dont do it as its not required,t ,,, if the fathers last name is SMITH, mothers name is CRUZ, would it be listed as.. DAVID HENRY SMITH or DAVID HENRY CRUZ SMITH . when the birth is registered w/NSO, will it be done as the foreign country certificate of birth or must be done according to Philippine rules although the birth abroad doesn’t require

  3. Irene Martinez

    Dear Sir/Ma’am,

    Magandang Araw po. Magtatanong po ako kung ano po gagawin namin sa Birth Certificate ng mister ko, kasi po wrong spelling ang middle name nya sa birth certificate sa halip na “ARIVE” naging “ARRIVE” po. At yung Mothers Maiden name naman po ay Mali din. Sa halip na “Eusebia Corazon Bamba Arive” ang naka encode po ay “Corazon Bamba Arrive” lang. Ang isa pa po namin problema, simula po noong nag-college sya ang ginamit na nya ay ang naka encode sa Birth Certificate nya, so lahat po ng dokumento nya simula, Diploma, SSS, BIR, Passport at lahat Valid documents. Ngayon kailangan po namin ayusin dahil nag-aapply po kami immigrant sa Canada. Hindi po namin ma-encode ang name ng nanay at mga kapatid nya dahil mali po ang spelling na ginagamit nya. Ano po ang dapat namin gawin? Sana po ay matulungan ninyo kami.

    Maraming Salamat po.

    Lubos na gumagalang,
    Irene Martinez

  4. amelita cabral

    hi , am miss amie my problem is the middle name of my daughters name my full name is amelita centino cabral due to i am a sngle parent , so the name of my daughter is jaira mae centino cabral , this is my problem the middle name of my daughter got santina instead of centino , and its clear at the registered document form they erased the centino and changed to santina. i need your advice how can i apply. thank you very much and god bless.

  5. nica reubal

    Hello po, ask ko lang po problema ko po ang middle name ko illegetimate mo ako pero dala ko ang middle name nang mama ko. Pwede po ba yun?

  6. Glossy

    Hi Sir…i have problem with my bro birth certificate. The first letter of his middle name is worng and he doesnt have a first name(it is shown Blank). However, my mom before registered him for late registrations when he enter university and mom got the late registration with correct name and spelling authenticated from the NSO. 2 weeks ago when he request for his birth NSo coppied it shows incorrect middle name and no first name. Question, How come it is not being updated in the NSo when my mom had it corrected and go the late registration with birth certificate NSO authenticated?

    • The first registered birth certificate will be locked at NSO for this is a case of double registration. To be able to assist you more with your query, please call (02) 705-1277 or (02) 7051265.

  7. hello po ask ko lang po kase yung pamangkin ko gamit nya po yung unang apilyedo nya nung hindi pa kasal ang ate ko pero now po kasal na ang ate ko gsto po ng ate ko na mapalitan yung apilyedo ng pamangkin ko ano po ba ang dapat kong gawin at pwede po ba ako ang lumakas ng papel kase hindi na maka tayo ang ate ko salamat po 🙂

    • kailangan pong pumunta ng magulang ng bata (o ng ibang tao na may dalang Special Power of Atty mula sa kanila) sa munisipyo sa lugar kung saan ipinanganak ang bata. doon po maayos ang pag-papalegitimize ng bata at mapalitan ang apelido neto.

  8. jose

    May problem po ako s birthcertificate ng anak ko,,, gust ko pong magfile ng AUSF sa kanya pra magamit nya last name ko

    pinanganak po sya s abroad kaya s civil registry s manila kami nagpunta for ausf ang kaso ung nso birth certificate “INTERCHANGED MIDDLE at LAST NAME” nagkabaligtad po ung naisulat s birthcertificate kailngan p bang icorrect muna ito kc mast matagal ung process nya at papadala p s consulate s ibang bansa kung saan sya naregister.

    Hinde ho b pag nagexecute ako ng ausf maanotate na lahat

    maraming salamat

    • hindi po maayos ng AUSF ang pagkakamali sa birth certificate. kailangan pong ayusin muna ang interchanged names na nakaindicate sa birth certificate ng bata bago mag-exececute ng AUSF para maitama ang Middle Name at Surname ng Bata

  9. Sheila

    Good day! Nalagay ko sa birth certificate ng anak ko yung middle name ko. Illegitimate sya, lumalabas tuloy na kapatid ko ang anak ko. Ano po process ang dapat kung gawin? Sabi sa akin kailangan na dalin sa Court kaso lang wala ko kilalang Atty.

    • Depende po yan kung anong taon ipinanganak ang bata.

      Maari po kayong tumawag sa aming office to set an appointment with our birth certificate specialists. Our numbers are 7051265 or 7051277

  10. Mam/Sir,
    ung anak po kc ng asawa ko sa una nyang asawa is may mali po sa live birth nya..una po ung middle name ng mother nakalagay po aida a. marquez dapat po ung middle initial na tama ng mother nya is letter “o”.pangalawa po is ung date ng kasal nakalagay po is june 12 dapat june 3 po ang tama..ano po ba or paano po ba itama ung mga mali na un?kc kailangan na po ma correct ngaun kc mag eenroll ng college ung anak ng asawa ko..thanks po and go bless..

  11. Rhea

    Hello. Naayos na po ang birth certificate ko sa Local Civil Registry ng munisipyo namin. Pinapapunta ako sa NSO Main para daw mafile na at makapagrequest ako ng bagong NSO birth certificate. Paano po ba ang proseso? Pupwede po bang ipadala ko na lang sa NSO? At sino ang dapat kong hanapin? Salamat po.

    • Kailangan po ang LCR mismo ang magpadala ng kopya ng Birth certificate ninyo sa NSO. Pero ifollowup po ninyo dun sa main office ng NSO sa Quezon City. For more details, please call 7051265/7051277. Thanks.

  12. AG

    Dear Ma’am / Sir,

    Good day. Itatanong ko lang po kung paano mag-inquire thru online sa NSO regarding sa birth certificate ng parents ko. Hindi po kasi alam ng parents ko kung nai-file sa munisipyo nila sa probinsya ung mga birth certificates nila since pinanganak sila thru kumadrona. Hoping for your reply. Thanks.

    • Best option po is to request for their birth certificate online. Ecensus.com.ph po ang website. Pag negative po ang result, ibig pong sabihin malamang hindi po sila narehistro. For more details, please call 7051265/7051277. Thanks.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s