The Case of the Legitimated Child


Screen shot 2013-03-17 at 7.58.56 PM


A legitimated child is a child conceived and born outside of wedlock of parents who, at the time of the conception of the former, were not disqualified by any impediment to marry each other.

A usual problem that a legitimated child has is that he/ she still carries the name of the mother, notwithstanding the marriage of the parents. In case you or someone you know is a legitimated child, the proper solution to this problem is to file an application for legitimation.

The basic requirements for this procedure are:

1. The marriage certificate of your parents;

2. The CENOMAR of both your parents;

3. A Joint Affidavit for Legitimation executed by both of your parents.

Please remember that the civil registrar may require other documents from you to support your application.

After the registration of the affidavit of legitimation, this annotation will appear on your birth certificate:

“Legitimated by Subsequent Marriage on ________ (date of marriage) at __________ (place of marriage)” 

The name as it originally appears on your birth certificate will be not changed, altered or deleted.

For other questions on legitimation, you may call our office to set an appointment with one of our birth certificate specialists. Our office numbers are 7051265 and 7051277.
Best regards,
The Verifiers
Your Birth Certificate Specialists


Filed under Legitimation

37 responses to “The Case of the Legitimated Child

  1. Pingback: The VERifier Talks About Legitimation! « Moving up!


    In my case, the child b-certifiate copy issued in 1998 from local registry office was with the complete annotation of legitimation after subsequent marriage. When i applied for a copy from NSO in Dec 2012, the document issued still had a marked “illigitimate”. I suppose the local registry had not forwarded the corrected document to NSO.
    I did verify the local registry office and they have asked a CENOMAR document in order to process my requested b-certificate of my child. Is this right?….is my issued NSO doc -marriage certificate not enough?

    • Yes, the CENOMAR is now a requirement for processing legitimation cases.

      For other details on procedure and requirements, you may contact our office to set an appointment with one of our birth certificate specialists. They will be able to give you valuable advise on how to go about the correction and which documents you need to submit together with your petition.

      Our office numbers are 7051265/ 7051277. THanks.

  3. jeffrey bohol

    can i ask a question in my nso birth cerficate my fathers family name is CORTES instead of BOHOL, then what im going to do to change it?

  4. Mj

    My birth certificate has an annotation (the father acknowledges child as his, therefore the child shall hereby be known as …..) at the back by the registrar basically saying I am legitimized decades ago. But I had difficulty getting a copy of my NSO birth certificate and my payment went to waste. I still have to go to the city hall to get my birth certificate which is a hassle for people like us with some questions In our BC. What should I do so that the city hall can forward a copy to NSO, and what name should I then put in my application to acquire an NSO copy, my original surname or legitimized name?

    • Hi MJ, when you say that you were unsuccessful in obtaining an NSO Birth Certificate, do you mean that you received a “Negative Intact?” Please email us a scanned copy of your document at We just want to examine it to see if the annotation you’re referring to is an annotation by the local civil registrar that you have been legitimized. The procedure for forwarding your Birth Certificate from the Local Civil Registry to the NSO is called endorsement. You can coordinate with your LCR on how to do this. We’d be glad to assist you with that as well. Just email us through the address indicated above or call us up from Monday to Friday 10AM to 4PM at 7051265-77. Thank you!

  5. pls help me nman po sa problem ko..for visa application na po sana ako taiwan ng bigla tumawag sken ang agency ko na hnd pwd ang late registerd ng nso ang taiwan.last oct.2012 ko lng po pnaregister ung nso ko pro nung 2010 ko pa nalaman na wla ako record sa nso.inadvice po sken ng agency ko na ipacancel ung NSO registration ko at ipasok yung luma kong birth certifacate.Anu po b dapat ko gawin? mgkanu po kya ang mgagastos ko pra d2 ? at ganu po katagal iprocess ito? urgent na po kc tlga..pls help me naman po,’thank u nd godbless..more power

  6. btw,.hnd po kasal ang parents ko pero surname ng father ko ang ginagamit ko..both my parents po ay my knya knya ng pamilya

  7. Glenda

    hi, we already sent such documents needed in legitimation of my son.. last may 14,2012.. my son was born on december 2011..and until now he had no certificate.. we sent a 2nd endorsement last week of april 2013 and i verified it last May 17 2013 .. but it will release on this June 6.. I want to verify if his birthcertificate is already ok.. his name is Francis Glen G. Castillo.tnx

  8. MAY

    Hi, may I ask a question. My biological father and mother were married but they separated. Now, the case is, in my NSO birth certificate, my family name is my mother’s maiden name, not my father’s surname. What should I do?

    • You need to file an affidavit to use the surname of the father, signed by your father, and have this registered in the place where you were born.

      For more details on the procedure, please call 7051265/7051277.

  9. my nso is stil illegitimate,but my parents r married years ago. how much wud this process cost?how long it will take ?

    • You will need to undergo the process of legitimation. For more details, you may call our office 7051265/7051277 to discuss your concern with one of our birth certificate specialists. Thank you.

  10. ahsiri

    hi! tanong ko lan po, kailangan po ba na gamitin ko ang apelyido ng tatay ko kung na acknowledge lang po niya ako.? kasi po sa birthcertificate ko po ay apelyido ni mama nakalagay pero nka indicate lang po sa rightside ng birthcertificate na na acknowledge nga po ako.. thanks

    • Kailangan po namin makita ang birth certificate ninyo para maibigay ang tamang advice tungkol dito.

      Pwedepo kayong tumawag sa opisina namin para makakuha ng kumpletong advice tungkol sa ganitong problema. Tumawag lang po kayo sa 7051265/7051277 para magpa-appointment.

  11. chel

    hi po.i was referred by master citizen.i have a problem with my son’s bc.nung ipinanganak q po cya last nov ang sinubmit q pong marriage certificate ay invalid.kya sa bc nya lumalabas na kasal kami ng papa nya but the truth is we’re not married.ano po kya dapat q gawin kc gusto q isunod na lng sa surname q ang anak q.please po need na need q po advice nyo.thanks po.

    • To correct this po, kailangan po ninyong i-file ito sa court. Kung gusto nyo po, pwede po namin kayong i-refer sa abogado. Para po ma-advice kayong mabuti.

      You may call our office for this. Our numbers are 7051265/7051277. Thank you.

  12. Arnell Garcia

    I order a bc for Jeric Vandamme Babagay Lozano, but when the bc arrived today the name was Jeric Vanndame Ebitner Babagay, is this the real bc on your records? the child uses his last name was Lozano up to now and the school records, and this the first time i knew these things, can you please advise me what is the best thing to do? is there a chance to order again with Lozano on his surname? and the father’s info was leave blank or n/a. in this case the child was illegitimate ?
    Mother: Judie Ebitner Babagay
    Father: Virgilio Francisco Lozano

    Pls. advise me what is the best thing to do. thank you very much

    • Are the parents married? There are some factors that will determine what the best thing to do is.

      For other details or a more comprehensive advice, please call us for a consultation 7051265/7051277.

      Thank you.

  13. Jubie Sabandal

    Hi Verified. My daughter was born June 5, 2011. During registration, acknowledged po sya ng tatay nya, at nakasunod sa tatay ang surname nya.

    We were then married last Dec 12, 2012. Do we still need to file for legitimation of our daughter kahit na sa birth cert nya is father’s surname na nakalagay at acknowledged po sya ng tatay nya.

    Ang kulang lang po sa birth cert ng daughter is ung marriage details namin kasi after na ng birth kami nagpakasal. Thanks.

    • Yes, she needs to apply for legitimation, so this will be reflected in her birth certificate.

      For other details or a more comprehensive advice, please call us for a consultation 7051265/7051277.

      Thank you.

  14. rica

    nung pinanganak po ako nkarehistro ako sa pangalan ng nanay ko kc ndi pa po sila kasal ng tatay ko,taz nung nagkaron po ng kasalang bayan smen nagpakasal po nnay at ttay ko,pero kasal po ang nnay ko sa una nyang asawa akala po nya ay patay na una nyang asawa more than 15 years na kc silang wala communication at may pinirmahang legal separation,naikasal nman po sila ng ttay ko,kaya pinarehistro na nila ako sa pangalan ng ttay ko kc kasal na sila at may inissue sken na bago bcertificate na nka apelyido na sa ttay ko may nkalagay pa nga na ligitimited through subsequent marrage,kaya nag aral po ako apelyido na ng ttay ko ang gamit ko at lahat ng documents ko,nung kumuha po ako sa nso apelyido parin po ng nnay ko ang nasa bcertificate ko,nagpunta po kmi sa registral ndi daw po pwede ako ipalyedo sa ttay ko kc daw po peke ang kasal nila kc buhay pa daw po ung unang asawa ng nnay ko nung kinasal sila ng ttay ko,anu po ang gagawin ko,bakit po sila naikasal kung ganun,ndi ko po maclaim ung benefits ko kc surname ng nnay ko ang nsa nso,eh surname ng ttay ko ang apply ko sa laht,sss,philhealth etc.please help..tnx

    • Tama ba ang pagkakaintindi namin na dalawa ang rehistro ninyo?

      Kung ganon, kailangan mai-cancel ang unang rehistro para ma-access ang pangalawa. At ito ay dapat sa korte, sa tulong ng abogado. Mas mabuti pong kumunsulta po kayo sa abogado para sa mas kumpletong payo.

  15. jm

    legitimated child po ako.. sa bc ko po may annotation nang “legitimated by subsequent marriage …..” kaso po hhindi yun tinatanggap ng prc. so nag pa annotate kami nung “the child shall now be known….” pero yung copies po ng bc ko na pina postal order hindi ko po nakuha kasi binaha po ang lcr namin dito sa cagayan de oro.. kung magre request po ako ng copy sa nso annotated na po ba yon? o kelangan namin ulitin ang buong process ng annotation? pls help po thanks

  16. Ani

    Hello po.. Can u please help me po kasi nun kinuha ko po ang aking NSO apelyido ng mama ko ang nakaregister sakin. Nasa live birthcertificate ko po surname ng father ko ang nakalagay, na may annotation na “Legitimated by Subsequent Marriage on ________ (date of marriage) at __________ (place of marriage)”. Pinanganak po ako na di pa kasal ang parent ko, pero inasikaso na din nila un. Meron na po akong Original copy ng marriage contract nila from NSO, Affidavit of Legitimation at Paternity Acknowledgement. What will i do po para maayos ang NSO ko.

    Thanks po and God Bless!

    • With these documents, you can submit this to the NSO Main Office to get an annotated copy.

      For more details, you may call our office to set an appointment with our birth certificate specialist 7051265/7051277

  17. katherine

    Nagpadeliver po ako ng cenomar ng ate ko mali po ung spelling ng mothers maiden name dpat po LLANITA / ung nklagay po sa cenomar LLENITA. Pero sa birth certificate po namen is LLANITA. Gagamitin po ni ate for marriage nya sa Ibang bansa. dapat daw po kc pareho ung nkalgay sa birthcert. And sa cenomar. Ano po gagawin ko?

  18. Cheff Imutan

    Good day. Ask ko lng po. Kasi throughout the years surname ng dad ko gamit ko. Kso recently nlaman ko na surname ng mum ko ung nasa BC ko kc dpa sila kasal nung time na pinanganak ako. Ang sabi ng mum ko nagpakasal sila after ako panganak pero hiwalay na sila ngayon at wala kami communication.
    Pumunta ako sa CLR ng makati nalaman ko na di kumpleto pg process nila sa legitimation ko and i need to do it all over again to use my dad’s surname. Ang tanong ko, pwede po ba gumawa nlng ng affidavit of one and same person for visa? Magaapply kc ako passport and visa. Alam ko ggmitin ng DFA name sa nso ko, pro kung kunwari magaaply ako visa pwede bang affidavit nlng? Wla kc akong way kumuha pa ng affidavit of acknowledgment frommy parents. Pls advise. Thx

    • Hindi na po na-honor ng DFA at pati ng mga embassy ang affidavit na ganon for a visa. Usually po, required nila na ang tamang pangalan ay nakalagay mismo sa birth certificate.

      Could you call and set an appointment with us by calling 7051265/7051277. Bring all your documents so we can advise you accordingly thank you.

  19. arlyn

    good morning po,ang asawa ko po ay korean ang problema po sa birth certificate ng anak namin sa pangalan ng asawa ko bukod sa nalagyan ko ng middle name yun sa asawa ko eh mali pa po yun middle name nya.ano po ang dapat gawin ko?kasi sa marriage certificate namin wala na po akong nilagay na middle name ng asawa ko.sana matulungan nyo po ako.salamat!

  20. Pinaypie

    Good day.

    I just want to ask kung naipasa na ba iyung house bill na nabanggit at nagti take effect na po ba? the bill that allows illegitimate children to use mother’s surname? so that I could arrange my papers on LCR and NSO regarding the use my mom’s middle name.

    or kung hindi pa po naipasa do I need to produce annotation that proves I am the same person na nasa nso at school/work records? kasi po sa credentials ko, may middle name ako at gamit ko middle name ng mom ko but un live birth at nso ay wala middle name. baka magkaroon ng confusion sa future kasi magwowork sana ako abroad and I know na hindi pwede lagyan ng DFA ng middle name ang passport ko kasi wala nga nakalagay sa nso..

    Ano po advice niyo?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s